I know some of you are interested in breaking into the publishing field so I thought I’d post this job opening. Here’s the link https://www.ultirecruit.com/hol1002/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*7E31C6861D96AFA1
Tor Books, an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, is a New York-based publisher of hardcover and paperback books, founded in 1980 and committed (although not limited) to Science Fiction and Fantasy literature. Between our extensive hardcover and trade-soft cover line, our Orb backlist program, and our stronghold in mass-market paperback, we annually publish what is arguably the largest and most diverse line of SF and fantasy ever produced by a single English-language publisher. Books from Tor have won every major award in the SF and fantasy fields, and for the last fifteen years in a row we have been named Best Publisher in the Locus Poll, the largest consumer poll in SF. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Assisting two editors principally in science fiction and fantasy. Reading and editing manuscripts, jointly with a more senior editor initially, and tracking them through production, marketing, publicity, etc. Keeping track of complex scheduling. Some business travel.
* Filing, phone, email
* Editorial work on mss
* Writing metadata
* Interacting with writers and agents
Required Skills / Knowledge:
* General knowledge of the science fiction and fantasy field
* Computer skills, including MS Word, excel. Experience with Title Management and Cognos a plus.
* Copy-writing skills, catalog copy, etc.
* In-house publishing experience, in interacting with the various departments in a publishing operation.
* 2 years in an editorial assistant position in book publishing or equivalent
* Extensive reading in science fiction; additional reading in fantasy a plus.
Educational Background Required:
* Some college; post-grad work a plus